Steve and I have been traveling a lot lately, really A TON, so when our electric bill came we would have guessed it would be as much as it was. While we are away we always raise the thermostat to 75, that seems normal for us. We normally keep it at about 73. This past month we were gone for a little over two weeks and when we got our bill, it read $245! REALLY! Seriously?! How could it even be that much? So, I did what I do best and called the electric company to find out what the world they were charging us so much for. Ha-lets just say that they told me that in the summer months they recommend setting the thermostat at 78 and that last month was a hotter month so, that would be a normal bill. Whatever! That is all I can really say, I am still floored and in disbelief, but whatever. I mean really...we would sweat to death.
So in efforts to help cut costs and save, we have been doing some ECO friendly things. The hippie is here (that is what Steve calls me anyways). We are putting new weather stripping around all the doors and I recently purchased window film. So, what I have learned, if you want to help cut costs on your bill the stuff to buy is Gila Platinum. It reduces up to 70% of the heat from the sun and helps insulate during the winter months. Yup...that is what I have been doing lately. Pretty cool.

Here is my before window and my after window. Actually, I guess it is one with and one without the film. Since, I put the film on the windows upstairs first.
Oh, and just in case you want to know, they are discontinuing the Gila Platinum. So hurry out and get yours if you want to save too. :)
Wow, that is crazy! I'd be mad about that too. You'll have to let us know if the film really helps when you get your next bill, I'm curious!
ReplyDelete