Wednesday, May 5, 2010

5 Little Ducks

Five little ducks went out one day,
Over the hills to the Harker driveway...

Yesterday, was a busy day for us. We got all our veggies planted, minus our squash and zucchini, started working on the flower beds, and ran errand after errand. It was busy, but a very successful day. Why would we expect that our evening would be any less busy? As I was cleaning up and getting ready to head back in with the boys, three little ducklings ran into our garage. As I scanned the road for a mama duck, I saw none and knew that the floods probably had separated these babies from their mama. So, with the help of a neighbor and Steve, we captured 5 baby wood ducks. They were super cute and oh how I wish for just a moment I had snapped a picture of them. The boys were so excited by our visitors and "oohhed and aahhed" over them. I thought about taking a picture once, but they were all snuggled together in the corner of a box and I just couldn't scare them anymore than they already were.

This morning I was rushing out the door, loaded the kids and ducklings in the van, and thought, I need the camera. Had I not been 10 minutes behind, I would have turned around. Time...not on my side today.

Our 5 little wood ducklings have now been relocated to a wildlife rehabilitation center. With all the flooding I am sure that there will be many more animals that find their way to this wonderful place tucked in the woods. One day our little ducklings will be released back into the wild and I am glad that we took a few minutes out of our day to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment