Thursday, January 20, 2011

Katie Dog


Our sweet, old Katie dog brought such joy into Steve and I's lives. We loved her so much and really she was our test kiddo. I still remember the day that we picked her up. It is such a crazy story really.

We were in college and I had been wanting a dog for a long time. Our landlords, Mr. and Mrs. Westmeyer, had known this and one day called asking if I could come by their house to meet a potential new roommate. Me, just kept thinking, "Who the heck is moving out? (knowing that my brother was staying, Steve and his brother staying, and that left me...and I was staying)" So I drive over one afternoon to meet the "potential roommate" and low and behold it was this border collie. The Westmeyer's had me take her home for a test run to see if we wanted to keep her or not. Of course, I couldn't say no. And this is how we got our Katie dog.

There are so many things that Steve and I loved about Katie. She was absolutely great with both boys. We couldn't have asked for a better dog, she was patient and tolerant with every action the boys made. We were so blessed that she found her way into our live and it was very hard for us to put her down last month.

We found out shortly before Thanksgiving that she had mammary cancer and it had spread quite a bit. At the moment I found out, I figured that she was doing so poorly, that this was it. We got her on some pain meds and she started to feel better and we thought, she has a little more time with us. But right before Christmas, she took another turn and we had to put her down. She made the trip back to Kansas and Colorado to say goodbye to all the family and she now rests peacefully next to our family dog Gracie, on the hill behind my parents' house.

We sure do miss you Katie dog and we still catch ourselves leaving the door open after the other dogs come in, waiting for you to appear. As Kyle reminds us, "you are in heaven keeping Mom (Grammy) company" and you aren't suffering any longer.

1 comment: